This building is familiar to those who drive down Prince Street or are walking to Clipper Magazine Stadium. This is the Gunzenhauser Bakery, the second of two. The first bakery was located on North Mulberry street, started by Christian Gunzenhauser, a German Immigrant. Operations began to expand after a short time in business, and in 1911 the second bakery was designed and then built at Its present site. The first building was designed by the Architect Charles Balderson of Philadelphia while the second addition was done by Lancaster's Own C. Emlen Urban. In the front of the building shoppers would walk past the massive stone arched windows to see a fresh selection of baked goods, while in the rear was the heart of the operation where bread was "Made in sight by the men in White". This was one of the bakery's slogans that alluded to its cleanness, since the FDA was still in its infant phase at the time. Later on Holsum Breads bought the Bakery and used it until moving the operation to Harrisburg in the 1970s. It then changed hands with Miller Barrel Works as a contaminated barrel cleaning site. In 1999 a massive fire gutted the building and has sat dormant ever since.
For more information here are two links:
Leave a Reply.